Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Letters to Santa... the Fiasco.

One of my colleagues had a favour to ask. His wife teaches primary school and her kids wrote letters to Santa and thought it would be a nice idea for some of our kids to respond to them. I jumped at the chance with my grade 10 class. Simple project, right?
I handed out the letters and gave clear, concise instructions (or so I had envisioned in my teaching utopia):
- The children filled in the blanks of a pre-written letter, indicating that they had been a good boy/girl, would leave (blank) for Santa and (blank) for reindeer and humbly requested three potential Christmas gifts (some included a drawing too).
- My grade 10 class was to respond with some kind of "Santa-like" greeting, NOT make them any promises of specific gifts - only to "do his best" to get what they wanted, congratulate them on their behaviour and make some Santa-smalltalk about Mrs. Claus, the North Pole, reindeer etc..

Here is what Mark L., one of the bright minds in my grade 10 class handed in:

Dear little boy

I was happy to get your well-written letter on what you want for Christmas. It sure is nice to get a letter (and a beautiful drawing!) from such a nice little human.
As such, I would like to confess something to you, Devin. I, Santa, am not what you think. On TV or in books or as the stories your parents read to you depict, I am a jolly old fat man who lives in the middle of nowhere on top of the world.
In truth, I am just the opposite. My real name, or rather, program title is Systematic Android with Nuclear Technical Anatomy. For short, S.A.N.T.A. No one knows who created me, all those thousands of years ago, but I do know this; my purpose was to deliver gifts and presents to all the little children of earth from my space station on the moon. The plan was to placate the whimsical needs of these children in order to pacify their rebellious natures and slow the cataclysm at hand.
By delivering them presents, adults could easily use prove their power by threats of “Santa won’t come if you don’t do what I say.” With this fear, children obeyed the foolish whims of their parents and relented to their demands in hope of seeing one of my gifts in the future.
This, of course, is ridiculous. I deliver presents to whomever I please, whether parents say to or not. It is up to me, and my elite squad of Electronically Luminescent Vortex® Exfundamentalist Syncrobots (E.L.V.E.S. for short) to send the children of your planet toys and such VIA my HotWheels™ Super Sled, with its hydraulic mega charged and jet booster and all the other gadgets my E.L.V.E.S. install.
To get to the point, I have selected you, Devin, to be the herald of this news, to all the children of earth in order to stop the insidious oligarchy which is your parents. You know the truth; so use it. Stand up, Devin. Stand up and save your generation! You are the one!!!

Sincerely

S.A.N.T.A.
Well Mark, your letter may not make it into the hands of Devin, but it was certainly blog worthy. I guess I will have to either tighten up or relax my project instructions, you never know what these students will turn in.
Robin Martin

26 Comments:

At Tue Dec 12, 04:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this reply from santa. It isn't very traditional, but it is clever. If I still believed in santa claus, I wouldn't mind getting a reply like that. With the imagination of a child, who knows how he would react. Although it would probably take him a few years to be able to understand the vocabulary in the reply. Anyway, it was an admirable attempt to corrupt young Devan's innocent mind.

 
At Tue Dec 12, 05:56:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHA, that was amazing. I hope you know these are for young children. There were some words in that that even I didn't know how to pronounce. Although it is very funny and simple amazing, you are going to corrupt the minds of a young pathetic child. Personally I loved this, and I think you should write a book about Santa Claus and his twisted ways. Nice job Mark, you are truely a great writter.

 
At Tue Dec 12, 07:45:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha, I love Mark Loggie. I really liked the letter Mark, it was great, you totally went crazy. I couldn't even imagine the look on the kid's face if he received it, finding out that Santa's not really a man but a robot. Nice.

 
At Tue Dec 12, 11:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That has to be the best reply I have even seen. Mark that reply is awesome, although I don't think Devin will really know what any of it means, because he's only in grade 1 or 2. Mark, I think Devin, would probably run away from Santa if he got that response.
Good job though Mark!

 
At Wed Dec 13, 08:21:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark, I had almost forgotten how much I miss you. Thank you for making me laugh out loud (all by myself) at 8:20 in the morning. Your word choice is stellar, by the way. Very "S.A.N.T.A.", not at all "Santa".
-Mrs. Corlett

 
At Wed Dec 13, 04:37:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha atta boy Mark. Best Santa reply ever. Great word choice and imagination.

 
At Wed Dec 13, 09:44:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

grat letter mark, it remindes me of what me and Eric were talking about in class. the boy that rote are letter wanted something like a train twister and a "Wicked car".He drew us a picture of what he wanted, it was terible, Eric and I felt like saying,"how about for Christmas we get you some freeking art lessons".

 
At Wed Dec 13, 10:00:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Positively brilliant! Where do you come up with these ideas Mark? Megan said you have a gift for writing and it shines through in this letter. Keep on writing.

 
At Wed Dec 13, 10:35:00 PM, Blogger Robin Martin said...

Well Mark, you definately deserved some recognition on this one! I know something is funny when I come back from lunch, see the writing on my computer and laugh so abruptly that I spill coffee all over my desk. Thanks for the laugh, but not so much for the mess!

 
At Thu Dec 14, 11:25:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that these letter are some pretty easy marks for us, thats why i did it. Personally i like Mark's letter. I like it because Christmas is one great big money scam. I really don't like anything about Christmas except for the free stuff and the food. Yea i must remind you all of the grinch, but i guess the grinch had a point. Anyways, excellent word choice Mark i liked it. Later...
T-Shane

 
At Thu Dec 14, 11:27:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought that Mark's response to Devin's Santa letter was very well written. I especially liked how he explained the " S.A.N.T.A & E.L.V.E.S" detailed names. Good job Mark !

 
At Thu Dec 14, 11:34:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a very different type of Santa reply, Mark. It was really awesome, but I don't think that the poor kid would have understood very much of it. Good use of imagination!

 
At Thu Dec 14, 11:35:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really liked what Mark had to say about Santa. I kind of wish it was true. It'd be cool if there was a Santa robot out there somewhere. Someday you are going to make some poor kid very unhappy Mark, congratulations. I envy you.

 
At Thu Dec 14, 11:39:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I freakin' love you. In the good way of course. Just keep writing.

 
At Thu Dec 14, 11:42:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Letter Mark!
You never cease to amaze. You are beyond clever. haha , that was hilarious.

 
At Thu Dec 14, 11:45:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, oh man Mark. Your writing never fails to amaze me. Too bad Devin will never be able to read your wicked awesome letter, but oh well. It's quite hilarious, and I love it. You have such an incredible imagination! You're a fantastic writer, and I look forward to reading your next piece.

 
At Thu Dec 14, 11:47:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mark that wasn awsome story i really enjoyed the whole robot santa part

 
At Thu Dec 14, 11:49:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark I really liked your letters it is awsome. But I am just wondering how did you come up with what Santa stands for?

 
At Thu Dec 14, 11:49:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha,mark.You are the craziest 15 year old that I know.You're also the only one I know who would tell a 6 year old that story about being a robot and living on the moon.But all in all it was pretty much the funniest thing i've heard all day.I don't know how you come up with all of this ideas but don't stop writting whatever you do.

 
At Thu Dec 14, 11:51:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark you're the only person i know that would write someting like to a 6 year old child. The "story" it's self is quite good but, i don't think a young child would really understand half the words in it.

 
At Thu Dec 14, 02:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a question for all of you. Are these post from class time or were they done at home, because last night I was on the blog and there were barly any post to do with this story. It is great to see the effort and pride brought forth by are class.

 
At Fri Dec 15, 09:19:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mark are you crazy you're gonna make this kid cry so bad if he reads that you can't tell them that santa's a robot and not a human. Are you nuts?

 
At Sat Dec 16, 11:09:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Aaron. A lot has been posted over what seemes like a short amount of time. Could it be our unquenchable thirst for blogging, or Mr. Martin's daily threats against our blogging marks?

 
At Sat Dec 16, 11:59:00 AM, Blogger Robin Martin said...

My guess is that it is a healthy combination of both an unquenchable thirst for blogging AND my daily threats.

Now get blogging, you slackers.

Or else.

 
At Mon Dec 18, 05:58:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I not going to lie to you Mr. Martin, it's the threats that are making the class perticipate more. Whatever works.

 
At Mon Dec 18, 08:53:00 PM, Blogger Robin Martin said...

That's the difference between "intrinsic" motivation and "extrinsic" motivation.

One is when you are motivated by the learning experience itself and do the work TO learn, the other is when you are motivated by external factors, like threats, or grades.

The goal is to develop your own knowledge and understanding by your own future sense of motivation!

p.s. - "perticipate" = participate *sigh*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home